• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 seamonkey

seamonkey

Site Admin

• Administrators
  • 596 posts

Posted 27 April 2019 - 02:53 PM

Everything takes time and resources and with this forum being underutilized as a whole, I'm compacting the thing as its own little digital universe is slowly collapsing back into the singularity. This forum takes a lot of system resources and maintenance and social media has gutted user participation over here.

Our web team (Spry) is going to be moving the site/forum to a new server and they are looking into upgrading the forum - this one is 3 versions old and unsupported by the developers. But I'm debating keeping it going.

BUT, there's a ton of club knowledge within these 12+ years of forum records. It would be a loss of knowledge and discussion (good and bad) that would be closed off to most people. Of course, a backup copy will always exist, just not in publicly accessible places.

Any input, post up. Unless 90% of mtbers won't even see this post.

Matt

T-Minus Web Admin

Matt Hayes
GORC Board Member
Greensfelder Steward

#2 pilznr

pilznr

• 462 posts

Posted 28 April 2019 - 11:07 AM

I think we have to keep the forum. There are people who don't use social media.

The history is a goldmine, and the ability to search it in the context of the forum is nice.

Greensfelder Cat Herder

#3 seamonkey

seamonkey

Site Admin

• Administrators
  • 596 posts

Posted 29 April 2019 - 10:27 AM

It sounds like we will be keeping it however we are running into problems migrating it. That’s why it was crashed out earlier this morning. Spry is looking into upgrading it to the most stable version. I had not been able to upgrade it for several years due to a version of PHP on the production server.

I have however condense the form into four main categories. You can still do a search that will extract any information you might desire. The reason I’ve reduced it to four main topics is that it it makes it appear that there is more traffic to the forum and makes it more dynamic.

The form itself is extremely complex on the back and it’s unfortunate I can’t turn off several chunks of features that have no bearing on our website.

The same holds true for the website blog posts. We have over 10 years worth but ever since I would say 2013 we have not really needed a blog. It has morphed into strictly a news release cycle. However just deleting the term blog makes it unclear where are you would find 12 years worth of knowledge and post. That’s why that still exists on the website but appears to be very dated. It would be awesome if I could migrate the blog post into the forum with the pictures and links still working, however, that’s way above my head and time and expertise and caring.

Matt Hayes
GORC Board Member
Greensfelder Steward

#4 autobon7

autobon7

Forum Contributor

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 29 April 2019 - 08:41 PM

I feel it should carry on. I do look back on older posts frequently and personally like the simplicity of a site like this opposed to something like Trail Forks. I do use both but if I had to pick......I'd stay here.

#5 ZenkiS14

ZenkiS14

Advanced Contributor

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 29 April 2019 - 10:04 PM

It bums me out that social media has destroyed classic forums, its the same for every hobby I have. It sucks.

I really hope this continues to live.

-Kyle
DJ:DS:4X:BMX:DH:FR:XC

#6 zzzbullseye

zzzbullseye

Forum Contributor

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 30 April 2019 - 06:23 AM

I fired Facebook a couple of years ago, so other than an occasional check on Twitter for info, this forum is my main portal into the GORC world. I'm hoping it stays alive...

#7 seamonkey

seamonkey

Site Admin

• Administrators
  • 596 posts

Posted 30 April 2019 - 06:53 AM

Unless something drastic happened, as long as I'm still running the web show, there will be some sort of forum with the data transferring over. Now, should I need to walk away, I can only advise those that take over to keep a communication channel other than email into the club.

• lirch likes this

Matt Hayes
GORC Board Member
Greensfelder Steward

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users