7 replies to this topic

#1 autobon7

autobon7

Forum Contributor

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 23 June 2019 - 10:36 AM

An old ride buddy recently bought an e mountain bike (Trek model) and wondering if they are ok to ride on gorc trails? I know many places in Cali they are not allowed. Seems like they are all over at Bentonville

#2 Craig

Craig

Advanced Contributor

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,603 posts

Posted 27 June 2019 - 09:11 PM

An old ride buddy recently bought an e mountain bike (Trek model) and wondering if they are ok to ride on gorc trails? I know many places in Cali they are not allowed. Seems like they are all over at Bentonville

It depends on the Land Manager and their policies.

On all St. Charles County Parks (SCCP's) trails, "No motorized ‘vehicles’ are allowed on any trails unless you have a handicap permit".  This was confirmed as recently as November 2018 (the last time I asked our contact within St. Charles County Government).  

Please feel free to reach out to our other Trail Stewards if you have a specific trail system in mind, and I will ping some of them to see what their latest info is.

Craig Seibert, GORC Board Member

GORC/St. Charles County Parks Liaison

#3 sniker

sniker

Advanced Contributor

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 907 posts

Posted 28 June 2019 - 06:27 AM

Thanks for answering Craig. I could be wrong, but, I don't think STL Co has a policy yet? I remember them mentioning E-bikes and coming up with one, but, I don't think it has happened.

I could be wrong though.

GORC Secretary

#4 autobon7

autobon7

Forum Contributor

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 28 June 2019 - 11:59 AM

I don't understand the fuss concerning pedal assist. Totally get if they have a throttle and understand that no one wants a grey area between ebikes and e-dirt bikes. Judging by the success of a place like Bentonville..... One could use their rules as a model. Or become stagnant like several places in California.

#5 Craig

Craig

Advanced Contributor

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,603 posts

Posted 28 June 2019 - 04:00 PM

The Land Manager's are simply trying to protect their property, and their users. 

If you can, please link to any Bentonville off road specific e bike rules and/or procedures.  A QUICK Google search found https://www.bikenwa....ike-legislation, which mirrors the large manufacturers voluntary standards.

We "bike enthusiasts" understand the difference between a Cannnondale/Giant/Specialized/Trek (or similar) and some Amazon or e-bay sourced monster that is basically an electric motorcycle.  Until well written rules are on the books, it is easier to lump everything together.

That said, if you do not like things the way they are, start asking your Park people and elected representatives for an updated policy.  The Park's (County, City, State, etc) belong to the people, and sometimes things need to be changed to represent current life.  (Like what mountain bikers had to go through when they started riding on public land.)  Educate yourself about the issue(s), bring that info to the attention of the decision makers, and see where it leads. 

Our being able to night ride at the Bluff View/Zombie system wasn't an overnight process, but shows that it is possible.

Craig Seibert, GORC Board Member

GORC/St. Charles County Parks Liaison

#6 autobon7

autobon7

Forum Contributor

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 29 June 2019 - 10:54 AM

I do agree that the eBay monster kits have no business on any of our trails but have yet to come across anyone with one of these kits... Anywhere. Im sure they are out there just not in significant numbers. However.... Since most of the local shops sell ebikes i have encountered a few locally... At Creve Coeur, Matson, and Cliff Cave most recently. As they become more popular this will become an issue if not addressed in advance. Just curious if GORC has a plan/stance on the matter or waiting to see if the ebike segment grows before addressing land management

#7 bingemtbr

bingemtbr

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 15 July 2019 - 02:05 PM

I don't understand the fuss concerning pedal assist. Totally get if they have a throttle and understand that no one wants a grey area between ebikes and e-dirt bikes. Judging by the success of a place like Bentonville..... One could use their rules as a model. Or become stagnant like several places in California.

I really didn't understand it either until last September (2018). Just finished riding Bluff-Zombie-Bluff.  The wife was out front on the connector single track between Zombie and Bluff.  It was a Sunday around 4pm, grass was high. Then out of nowhere, a recumbent E-bike comes UP the trail at 15+mph. Almost a very bad collision. The electric motor made zero noise.  The rider and the e-recumbent were completely obscurred by the grass.   

To me, the issue is the safety of all trail users. 

#8 Mr_Offroad

Mr_Offroad

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 29 August 2019 - 10:11 PM

Let’s dispel some misconceptions about Peddle Assisted, Ebikes:

Power:  A 750 watt motor is 1/10th as powerful as a 125cc motorcycle. 
(In reality nothing, just enough to help a bicycle keep going.)

750 Watt Ebike:
1. Will not spin the rear tire.
2. Will not climb a hill by itself.
3. Will not go anywhere of significance without peddling.
4. And: Throttles on Ebikes are for safety reasons. 
Throttles are being made available specifically for emergencies and safety, in my opinion.
The bikes are heavier and people unfamiliar with shifting gears could have problems.

Fact: A Peddle assisted Ebike is a “Human Powered” bike.

Fact:  Fat tire Ebikes will have less of an impact on trails and the terrain.
Even with the heavier weight, the wide tires spread out the forces on rocks and soil.

Guidelines:  Federal guidelines on Ebikes say they should be regulated by top speed and speed alone.
States are legislating or regulating Ebikes on power output from the motor and top speed.

Fact:  DC Electric motor power is a calculation of voltage and current, raise the voltage and you change the power. 

Most motors and controllers are programmable for the supply voltage, 36V/48V/52V.

This makes regulations concerning power very difficult.

Conclusion:  Ebike technology is an advancement for bicycles just like 10 speed cartridges or full suspension tech. 

Fact: Ebikes are here to stay.  We should just get used to them being around.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users