Jump to content


Photo

Tubeless Conversion Kits


  • Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 richierich66

richierich66

    Newbie

  • Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 17 October 2019 - 01:19 PM

Wondering if anyone has any experience with "tubeless conversion kits".

I just got a N.O.S. Easton EA70 XC 26" wheelset from a friend that bought them new years ago as a spare set and only put a total of 28 miles on them before putting them into storage. He has a set of skinny Ritchey kevlar bead tires with tubes on them as he had them setup for hillclimb/XC racing and he said they weren't tubeless compatible. (No tubeless ready designation on rims, either).

I have Schwalbe Nobby Nic 2.3 and Continental X King 2.4 tires that are able to run tubeless and I like so I was thinking about getting a tubeless conversion kit and trying to run them tubeless on the Eastons.

Anyone have any experience with this? Seems like a decent weight reduction for me IF it will work and be dependable / safe as the entire kit is less than $40!

 

Here's the kit I'm considering:

Slime Tubeless Conversion Kit for Bikes 26" - 29"
 
  • The ultimate in tubeless conversion kits
  • Three leading brands came together to provide the best products in one package
  • Compatible with 26", 27.5" and 29" MTB wheelsets
  • Kit inlcudes:
  • 1 roll of Gorilla brand rim tape
  • 1 bottle of Slime Pro tubeless sealant and measuring cup
  • 1 Genuine Innovations inflation kit including tire lever, 2 tubeless valves, valve tool, 2 Co2 cartridges, push on presta adapter and a Co2 inflation head

 

Valve Length: 32mm Valve Core: Removable   

 

THANKS!

 

Attached Thumbnails

  • Easton EA70 XC wheelset2.jpg
  • Easton EA70 XC wheelset.jpg
  • Easton EA70 XC wheelset3.jpg
  • Tubeless conversion kit.jpg


#2 Eazy_E

Eazy_E

    Newbie

  • Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 18 October 2019 - 06:24 AM

Gorilla rim tape? That's the duct tape they sell at Home Depot, which, btw, is what I use for a rim tape and it works pretty well.  For $40, that's not bad, but if you don't have tubeless rims, I wouldn't count on just a CO2 cartridge being able to pop the bead onto the rim.  Plus a lot of that sealant might get eaten up just sealing the tires.  

 

Tape those rims, put in a valve stem without the core and put the tire on.  Tap on the tire with your palm or use your tire levers to get the tire as close to the rim bead as you can.  Don't put sealant in.  Use an air compressor.  If you don't have one, use a gas station, but only one with a compressor in the basement, don't use one of those ones at QT that's coin op, it won't have enough flow.  A Schrader end will work fine for a Presta without a core, just press it on.  It should inflate pretty fast and hopefully it pops really loudly as it seats on the rim.  If you can get it to seat on the rim, add the sealant thru the valve stem or pull a small area of the tire off and pour it in.  Put the valve core in and hit it again with the compressor.  It should seal up and hold.  Might have to add sealant or air after it initially seals up.  

 

If you can get it to hold air, it should be good as long as you don't run too low a PSI or really lean it in corners.  


  • richierich66 likes this

#3 richierich66

richierich66

    Newbie

  • Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 20 October 2019 - 04:32 PM

Thanks for the response! 

I actually used the 9m x 24mm Gorilla Tape from Menard's to tape my rims that measure 25mm outside to outside with 2 wraps. I used the Muc Off tubeless valve system /44mm (SUPER nice kit - everything you could possible need and lots of anodized colors for bling or stealth - scored mine on line for $16.99 vs. $27.99 at most online retailers or even more). I put in Rimpact foam inserts in as volume reducers and rim protectors. Put on a Nobby Nic 2.35 Performance up front and a Continental X King 2.4 in back. Seated them once with a large shop compressor and no sealant. Then deflated and added Stan's No Tubes Race Formula Sealant directly into the tires instead as advised by Stan's tech support versus through the stem with the core removed, (the Race formula has extra large particles that make conventional method impossible according to them). Inflated each until firmly seated. Spun each a few times to initially distribute the sealant. Dropped pressure to 26 lbs in each installed and rode about a mile. A little more than 24 hours later took off-road and played with pressures. I'm running 18 lbs front and rear now and have really put it through it's paces. Absolutely no loss in pressure according to my digital gauge and no apparent seepage. My bike rides more compliant yet corners like it's on rails giving me a lot of new confidence! 

Even with the Rimpact strips and sealant my wheels are noticeably lighter plus I know that I have some extra rim protection and the Race Formula sealant is reported to be second to none as far as sealant by those that have experience with all the top brands. I also noticed that there seems to be a bit of vibration dampening now with this setup.  TWO BIG THUMBS UP!!!






0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users