• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 TwentyMiles

TwentyMiles

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 24 October 2019 - 10:40 AM

Any opinions are appreciated regarding this as a transition from hardtail into full suspension for a beginner riding trails like Zombie and Greensfelder...
https://www.rei.com/...mr-29-bike-2019

#2 The Krackheads

The Krackheads

Advanced Contributor

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 895 posts

Posted 24 October 2019 - 06:09 PM

Decent spec’d out bike but the wheelset doesn’t appear to be tubeless ready which if you ask me makes a world of difference with how a bike handles. The Tekro brakes are ehhhh, and the dropper post seems to be so so and the fork is only 100mm wide.

I have no preference to the brand but the Giant Trance 3 at $2100 is a pretty slick ride. Tubeless wheels, tires, Giant dropper post and a great number of retailers in the St Louis area. Its a few bucks more than the Ghost but I think a superior bike

Radio edit-Apparently The Bike Center in Des Peres has some Trance demos for sale,

Volunteers do not necessarily have the time; they just have the heart. ~Elizabeth Andrew

Bluffview/Rock Hollow Co-Trail Steward

#3 Eazy_E

Eazy_E

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 25 October 2019 - 06:28 AM

They spec'd a Boost rear, but a non-Boost front? I don't have any strong opinions about Boost, but that's... interesting. The drivetrain is fine, the brakes should probably be upgraded to Shimano, the Recon is a 32mm stanchion chassis, and I'd recommend at least a 34 or 35 one, and I strongly prefer threaded bottom brackets.

So yeah, I don't think it'll fall apart on you mid trail, but if you know you want to stick with riding, you might want to jump up a level or two in spec. It'll be ultimately cheaper in the long run.

#4 TwentyMiles

TwentyMiles

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 25 October 2019 - 05:05 PM

Thanks so much for the feedback. Thoughts on this one? https://www.rei.com/...al-29-bike-2019

#5 Eazy_E

Eazy_E

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 25 October 2019 - 07:44 PM

If you're set on buying from REI, especially if you get dividend or have dividend money to use, get this: https://www.rei.com/...les-drt-32-bike

For the price, the spec is good. The Revelation is a 35mm fork now, like the Pike so it'll be plenty stiff enough and everything else on the bike is good enough for a working man. Pretty much everything that comes on that bike, you can run it out of the box and don't worry about it until you break it or it dies if old age.

#6 G-Tracker

G-Tracker

Advanced Contributor

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts

Posted 26 October 2019 - 06:41 AM

For 2 G's  that Cannondale is one fine bike.  130mm travel is great for around here. The Maxxis tires with the EXO protection means you won't have to run out and buy new tires.

I run EXO Maxxis tires and have never sliced a sidewall.

I like the shock placement on this bike. My Anthem puts the shock lower mount right above the bottom bracket. This make it a hard-to-keep-clean area.......my next bike will have the shock mounted like this Cannondale. Brakes are Shimano and the 1 x 11 will do fine. Tubeless Rims

....maybe I'll buy one.

Gary
Matson Hill Trail Steward

Who climbs up - gets to come down!

#7 TwentyMiles

TwentyMiles

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 04 November 2019 - 04:39 AM

I am getting ready to buy the Ghost
https://www.rei.com/...mr-29-bike-2019
The rims are tubeless compatible, according to the Alex guide. Also, I like the extra gear a 1 x 12 provides.
I am torn regarding the frame size. I am 6 feet tall with a 32 inch pants inseam. I ride a large on the Cannondale 29er with 447 reach. But, the reach on the large Ghost is 460 (medium is 433). Again, any advice is appreciated.

#8 lirch

lirch

Advanced Contributor

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 387 posts

Posted 04 November 2019 - 08:56 AM

Get the large. I’m 6’2” and rode a large for years until I borrowed a friend’s bike to do a race in AZ so I didn’t have to fly with mine. He rides an XL and it was soooo much better. When I got home from that trip I sold all my larges and replaced them with XL. Haven’t looked back.

The Cannondale prob has a longer stem and different angles. Plus you’re talking about 13mm difference. Quite minuscule. Can be resolved with a shorter stem or moving the saddle forward or both.

My advice would be to not write off the XL. At least throw a leg over it and ride it around the parking lot/building. Larger bikes are more stable.

But also, as someone mentioned earlier in this thread, the rear is boost and the fork is not. That alone would be a no go for me. Sure, you can replace the fork, but who wants to fork out another 6-900 dollars for a fork after dropping $2k. I personally ride Kona bikes exclusively, but check out a Giant retailer. As the largest bike manufacturer in the world, they have the best bang for your buck. And I know that a couple of shops not all that far from REI have “lifetime tune-ups” with the purchase of a new bike.

#9 TwentyMiles

TwentyMiles

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 27 November 2019 - 04:30 PM

Today I ordered a 2020 Giant Trance 3 29, in sand beige. The bad part, it won't be in until the end of January! Oh well, still looking forward to it. Thank you to everyone for the advice!
  • lirch likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users