4 replies to this topic

#1 winterbiker

winterbiker

Advanced Contributor

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 03 January 2020 - 10:22 AM

I'm looking at putting new 29er rims and spokes on a pair of hubs.

I normally run 2.3 or 2.4 ish tires on the back and 2.6 in the front.  I don't anticipate using anything bigger than 2.8 in front.

I have a pair of wheels with Blunt 35 rims, and they've worked fine, but I've put a couple dents in them and I've read some saying they're soft.  Perhaps my pressure was a bit low when I dented them.

I see the recommended Stan's rims for tires up to 2.8 wide, in their 'premium' alloy, are the Flow MK3 & EX3.  I don't plan on flying off mountains as shown on the pages for these rims, but on a rigid bike I suppose I take some pretty good hits.

So, I'm wondering if anyone has recommendations between the Blunt 35 and the Stans MK3 or EX3, or if there are other rims I should consider. Weight, durability, and ease of establishing and maintaining a tubeless setup are the main considerations I can think of.  Also I'm thinking alloy over carbon at this time.

#2 lirch

lirch

Advanced Contributor

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 408 posts

Posted 03 January 2020 - 12:17 PM

I have several wheelsets with Blunt35’s and like them just fine. But I don’t play games with tire pressure. I go with a strict 24 psi in the rear and a bit less up front. It takes a good solid casing or failure to check pressure before riding for that to happen I feel. Recently built up a set of wheels with some WTB rims though. So far, so good.
  • winterbiker likes this

#3 Craig

Craig

Advanced Contributor

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

Posted 03 January 2020 - 03:04 PM

I haven't seen any problems or issues with the Blunt's denting, other than the low pressure scenario you mentioned. 

Reading between the lines, the MK3 should be fine for your needs.  (If you WERE running a regional or national Enduro series - and didn't want to mess w/carbon - the EX3's sound pretty tempting due to their extra strength.)  Don't think you need the durability at your weight, tho.  The Flow's width would give you better support for the 2.6/2.8 tire, and allow you to run a bit lower pressure without worrying about tire wiggle in hard corners.  For the rear, the Arch's width should be fine.

• lirch likes this

Craig Seibert, GORC Board Member

GORC/St. Charles County Parks Liaison

#4 Eazy_E

Eazy_E

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 04 January 2020 - 07:22 AM

I was running a set of mismatched rims with a good rear hub but a front hub that was starting to get crunchy so I decided to standardize with WTB I29 Asym rims and a DT Swiss 350 front hub to match my rear.  WTB rims have been pretty good for me and they seat tubeless tires pretty well.  I did the lacing myself (recommended since it's easy and you save a lot on labor) but I farmed out the truing.  Asym rims aren't supposed to need dishing, and they're supposed to have some of the strength benefits of Boost, but I can't confirm that.

WTB makes an I35 Asym and I should have maybe gone with that, but overall, I'm happy with them.

• lirch likes this

#5 winterbiker

winterbiker

Advanced Contributor

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 05 January 2020 - 07:15 PM

Thanks for the helpful info all!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users