• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 rustyd

rustyd

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 06 January 2020 - 12:52 PM

I was riding cliff cave on Saturday pretty early and noticed first stage in freeze thaw being the wet and slick surface, which made for an interesting ride, but as soon as it started to get softer I turned around.  I made sure to not ride in any soft spots as I made my way back to my car and warned the group of younger guys heading up that the trail was getting really soft. But, that leads me to my questions.  Which local trails do you guys like to ride on days you know are going to be soft?   I want to maximize my riding, but not at the expense of the trails this winter/spring.  

Any opinions are welcome!   

#2 whm

whm

Forum Contributor

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 07 January 2020 - 11:16 AM

Your best bet is to ride early the morning (before 9am).  All the trails seem to have the freeze thaw issue to some extent.     

#3 KevinG

KevinG

Advanced Contributor

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 366 posts

Posted 18 January 2020 - 05:51 PM

Thanks for your consideration to cut the ride short when they started to melt. It really can get bad fast sometimes.

Best to ride early while still frozen.

Freeze / Thaw can be really frustrating but it's the nature of dirt trails.

Giving them a break when they are in thaw mode really helps to keep them in much better shape in the long run.

Sure the ruts eventually smooth out and all may seem well, but the tread can become reshaped and may no longer shed water properly after rain. 

GORC Trail Steward- Cliff Cave Park
You don't quit playing because you get old .... You get old because you quit playing

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)