• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Grany

Grany

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 28 October 2020 - 10:01 AM

Looking for entry level all suspension or hard tail mountain bike.

Would like:
-> 27.5
-> Hydraulic disk brakes
-> 120 mm travel
-> 1x10-12
-> Dropper post / ready

#2 Jimothy

Jimothy

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 29 October 2020 - 01:19 PM

I know this isn't used and it's a bit over the budget but the Marin San Quinten 2 is a great trail hardtail. You might be able to find an older model for a bit cheaper.

2021: https://www.marinbik...1-san-quentin-2

#3 Grany

Grany

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 29 October 2020 - 03:20 PM

Thanks for the tip. I like the San-Quentin and my goal bike is actually a Rift Zone 3 or Hawk Hill 3. But, I thought a used Hardtail would get me to the trails sooner.

Plan B:
Last night as I was looking at my 87 Univega Alpina Pro, I wondered what a suspension fork whould look like and what it would do to the geometry? Thoughts?

#4 lirch

lirch

Advanced Contributor

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 416 posts

Posted 30 October 2020 - 12:53 AM

Thanks for the tip. I like the San-Quentin and my goal bike is actually a Rift Zone 3 or Hawk Hill 3. But, I thought a used Hardtail would get me to the trails sooner.

Plan B:
Last night as I was looking at my 87 Univega Alpina Pro, I wondered what a suspension fork whould look like and what it would do to the geometry? Thoughts?

I would say stick to plan A. Or maybe go with plan C that suggests a slightly larger budget. Regardless of how that 87 Univega handles with a suspension fork, there’s just so much that’s happened since then in the bike technology realm. Disc brakea, larger diameter wheels, frames that allow for wider tread, tires in general, tubeless tires, slacker more playful geometry, dropper posts, 1x drivetrain, suspension technology, the list goes on. Sure, the classics are classics, and demand a certain level of respect, but the new new $#!+ is where it’s at. I hear Facebook Marketplace is where all the deals at. Don’t FB personally, so I can’t attest.

If you’re gonna take the Univega to the trails, take it as is in all its classic style and glory. Then, go rent a bike like I described above. Even if it doesn’t have all the bells and whistles like dropper posts and what have you, it’ll still be like night and day from the ol Vega.
  • Grany likes this

#5 Jimothy

Jimothy

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 30 October 2020 - 10:05 AM

I ride an SJ ST AL 27.5 and I ride with a friend who rides a 30-year-old MTB on the same trails I do. I'd give the old bike a once over and make sure everything works (don't buy anything beyond tubes really) take it out on the trails and save up for a 2.5-4K ish FS (2K is the minimum for a quality FS). I'd recommend starting with Bootleggers Run which is very beginner friendly and has a small jump area if you take the back left from the main trail intersection at the trailhead.

If you're more experienced Zombie East or Bluff View.

• Grany likes this

#6 Grany

Grany

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 31 October 2020 - 08:37 AM

lirch and Jimothy, thanks for your input.  It sounds like my plan A is on the right track.  And I agree that the Vega should get a Fluff & Buff for some spins-of-splendor around some B-I tracks.  

I didn't even think of rentals, great idea!  Who rents?  

#7 Grany

Grany

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 31 October 2020 - 08:53 AM

Found this on FB Marketplace.  Having conversation with guy about providing more info on bike, but he's being somewhat  elusive.  

Do you guys know what model GT this is - $700 seams "Very Good".

https://www.facebook...661886404524843

It's a 2010 Sensor, Lg frame, 120 mm travel - any experience with frame size?  It might be a fuzz big for me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users