6 replies to this topic

#1 Doug

Doug

Advanced Contributor

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 02 January 2010 - 04:25 PM

I have been mountain biking for about 5 years now and I guess my riding style would be considered "agressive trail riding". I get out to Fruita and Crested Butte when I can and I ride all the local trails every week during the summer and fall months. Anyways, I am no novice but I recently bought a decent singlespeed dirt jump bike and am having a hard time coming to terms with jumping, drops, and getting used to flat pedals(I have been running clipless for a long time). I bought this bike to help improve my overall technical riding and to do some urban riding and dirt jumping but since I have gotten it I have had quite a few unexpected meetings with Mr. Ground. Any tips at all would be helpful.I Also want to get out to the figure eight park as soon as the weather gets decent.

#2 PatrickP

PatrickP

Advanced Contributor

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 550 posts

Posted 02 January 2010 - 06:21 PM

My only advice is to ride with people jumping on regular basis, you can learn a lot from them and just watching them. Urban rides are another good place to learn to get used to the flat pedals (proper bunny/J hoping technique for example).

Ramp Riders is another good place to take your DJ'er this time on the year... except you'll be hitting Mr. Plywood and Mrs. Concrete instead.

Watch for sessions on the Gateway Freeride site if you're looking for people to sesh/ride with: www.mtb-stl.com The board is a little dead this time of the year though, so you've been warned. [:)]
Posted Image

#3 Doug

Doug

Advanced Contributor

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 03 January 2010 - 02:08 PM

Thanks for the tips! I actually did go to ramp riders with some of my buddies that ride bmx and I did get introduced to Mr. Plywood and Mr.Concrete. Those guys suck. I am getting a little better by going to ramp riders and the Mills but I still cant even do a proper manual. I grew up racing motocross and I guess I though that would carry over more to the dj bike than it has. Oh well I'll keep practicing.

#4 saint_john

saint_john

Forum Contributor

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 04 January 2010 - 12:52 PM

Is there a bike park at The Mills??

#5 Boosh

Boosh

Forum Contributor

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 04 January 2010 - 05:58 PM

Yes.. Plan 9 at the mills is a decent park but slick as snot. I usually session at Ramp Riders noon on Saturdays. If anyone would like to join let me know.

#6 D-Kline

D-Kline

Forum Contributor

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 05 January 2010 - 06:30 AM

+1 for Patrick's advice. Ride with people who jump and hit drops etc. That's how every one of us got started. You would be surprised how quickly you pick up on things. Great bunch of guys and always willing to give pointers and whatnot. Like Patrick mentioned, the board is not as active this time of year but even if rides aren't posted they are happening so you can always just PM somebody too....good luck
The artist formerly known as java1377

www.mtb-stl.com

Posted Image

#7 Doug

Doug

Advanced Contributor

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 10 January 2010 - 03:01 PM

Thanks alot. Im looking forward to going to the Figure 8 park when it warms up although I plan on hitting ramp riders next sunday. The mills park is VERY slick and I found that out the hard way. I'm defintly more comfortable on dirt but I already have improved on bigger drops and that will carry over to regular mountain biking this spring when I hit the trails.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users